Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Rare Reporter celebrates 62nd birthday, retirement


I have to admit that for most of my life I've pretty much done everything ass-backwards so it should come as no surprise to anyone that I've decided to relaunch The Rare Reporter blog just as I've turned 62 and officially retired.

Two good friends of mine -- one a high school friend who now lives in Montgomery, AL, and the other a college friend who lives in Houston -- joined me in Puerto Vallarta for the celebration of my birthday last week. We had a wonderful time together eating, drinking, sight-seeing and generally living it up.

I was also fortunate enough to run into a couple of other friendly faces from Dallas while I was in Mexico.

The highlights were excursions to the jungle-covered mountains outside of the city where attached to cables we sailed over tree tops, and an exotic boat cruise down the coast of Mexico. It was a fabulous trip.

The picture above is one of me gliding through the air to the next stop while on the tree-canopy tour. I just sort of closed my eyes and hoped for the best as I neared the landing platform.

But now that I'm back home, I realize I don't want to vegetate in retirement. I do plan to spend a lot of time traveling, but when I'm not I'm still going to be writing and taking photographs. I've been doing it most of my life, and I can't imagine stopping now.

At this time my column, The Rare Reporter, is being published by the Dallas Voice, which will always be the flagship publication for my work, the South Florida Gay News, the Seattle Gay News, LGBTSR.com, and I think I've got a couple of other publications interested in publishing it.

I'm glad to be alive and still kicking. So many of my friends, both gay and straight, didn't make it this far.

They say 60 is the new 40 so I guess I've got a lot of miles left yet to travel. I'm determined in retirement to keep doing what has always gave me the most satisfaction -- serving my community.

I look forward to continuing to share the news and my thoughts with you.







No comments:

Post a Comment